3/31/09

Newspapers.

My ideal newspaper would be covered in raw facts and statistics with a separate section for expert opinion on current subjects.

I do realize how irrational of a request this is, people don't have the time to interpret complex information (most don't even have the tools), they want the news presented to them in the simplest way possible and they want the news to be entertaining. Articles in the Winnipeg free press are crafted to appeal to the majority of Winnipeg's population but this poses problems. Everything we read is slanted in some way because the information presented is subject to interpretation, potentially important aspects of information are ignored, certain types of stories are favored over others etc

To clarify, I am not asking for an unbiased opinion (that doesn't even make sense), but I think it would be great to have a single publicly distributed document dedicated to just raw facts that pertain to current issues. Each member of the public, who read the document, would have a greater understanding of the way things really are. I wounder how much such a newspaper would alter public opinion and how many people would come out with similar interpretations of the raw information presented?

I do like the Winnipeg free press, I think it does a good job, for the most part, at what its supposed to do but whenever I read it I feel like I'm just missing something. I have been trying to find alternate sources for a very long time and although they do exist, they tend to be niche orientated and focus on specific topics. As mentioned, The Rise and Sprawl is a great place for alternate opinion on Winnipeg urban and city planning but again, this is just a single niche and the vast majority of the public (this is the third time I've said this, I apologize) seems to want all their information in one place. Well, it looks like there might be a solution...

Recently I discovered The Black Rod and I am so god dam glad it exist. The Black Rod is run by a group of "Citizen journalists" who,"analyze news coverage by the mainstream media and highlight flawed logic, bias, missed angles and serve as the only overall monitors in the province of Manitoba". I urge everyone to check it out.

I might write a more in depth piece on my newspaper idea at some point. If anyone reads this let me know what you think.

No comments: